by Xunyao Fu, PhD
On November 9, 2018, the Taiwan Ministry of Labor (MOL) published an amendment to the Regulations for the Labelling and Hazard Communication of Hazardous Chemicals through MOL Document No. 10702052242.
This amendment revised several articles and Attached Table 4, summarized below:
- Article 4: Industrial waste includes general industrial waste and hazardous industrial waste. Therefore, both general and hazardous industrial waste are excluded from the scope of the regulations.
- Article 5: Labeling elements (pictogram, signal word and hazard statement) on a label for a hazardous product are clarified.
- Article 18: CAS numbers are added as protected data in Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) and labels.
- Article 18-1: This new article specifies circumstances in which a hazardous substance(s) cannot be claimed as confidential. It also introduces a change that information cannot be protected in an SDS for a chemical substance with a published occupational exposure limit.
- Attached Table 4: For a mixture, CAS numbers of hazardous ingredients should be included in Section 3 of an SDS.
When do these revision take effect?
These revisions took effect on November 9, 2018, except for the amendment to Attached Table 4, which will be effective beginning January 1, 2020. This is in order to give industry enough time to update their SDSs.
For additional background information on the Regulations for the Labelling and Hazard Communication of Hazardous Chemicals, check out our previous article:
- Taiwan Drafts Amendment on Regulations for the Labelling and Hazard Communication of Hazardous Chemicals
- Become familiar with the changes in the Regulations.
- Change SDSs in accordance with the new requirement.
Never Miss an Update!
UL’s global Regulatory Assurance Team contains more than 50 regulatory analysts worldwide, serving customers in six continents, with multi-lingual support in more than 30 languages. Our team can help you navigate the complex, ever changing regulatory landscape to understand and execute your compliance obligations.
For all of the latest regulatory news and the most important industry updates, sign up to our fortnightly Regulatory Round-Up Newsletter.
Ministry of Labor, Document No. 10702052242, Amendment on partial articles and Appendix 4 of Article 12 of “Regulations for the Labeling and Hazard Communication of Hazardous Chemicals” (修正「危害性化學品標示及通識規則」部分條文及第十二條附表四) Published on November 9, 2018. (Source is only available in Traditional Chinese) https://gazette2.nat.gov.tw/EG_FileManager/eguploadpub/eg024214/ch08/type1/gov82/num47/Eg.htm
“Regulations for the Labeling and Hazard Communication of Hazardous Chemicals.” Ministry of Labor. Announced on October 19, 2007; Modified on June 27, 2014. http://laws.mol.gov.tw/Eng/FLAWDAT01.aspx?lsid=FL044342
Taiwan, Labelling, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Chemicals, Safety Data Sheets, SDSs, GHS, Taiwan Ministry Of Labor, MOL