by Dr. Martina Schneider
On March 27, 2019, the European Commission released an adaptation to technical and scientific progress amending the EU Regulation 1272/2008 on classification, labeling and packaging (CLP) for the twelfth time.
The CLP implements the Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) of the United Nations (UN) within the European Union. Until now, the EU was in line with Revision 5 of the GHS. Revision 6 of the GHS was issued in 2015, with Revision 7 of GHS issued in 2017. This 12th ATP updates the CLP with the changes triggered by the sixth and seventh revised editions of the GHS.
What are the changes?
These amendments are identified in Annexes I–VI of the 12th ATP. Some of the main changes are:
- Annex I: Introduced a new hazard class for desensitised explosives (Category 1-4) and a new hazard category, pyrophoric gases (within the hazard class flammable gases and updating the category name); cut-off value for STOT -RE 3 and aspiration toxicity added to table 1.1 (generic cut-offs); revised the criteria for substances and mixtures which in contact with water emit flammable gases; and amended the details of the definitions and classification criteria for several hazard classes.
- Annex II: Deleted phrase EUH001; renumbering of sections.
- Annex III: Added hazard statements H206, H207, H208 and H232.
- Annex IV: Corrected and revised P phrases.
- Annex IV: Added a new hazard category, i.e., desensitised explosives.
- Annex VI: Added a new hazard category for flammable gases and new hazard class desensitised explosives in table 1.1.
When do these changes take effect?
The deadline by which these updates shall apply is October 17, 2020.
Consider reclassifying your substances and mixtures according to the new hazard classes and hazard category introduced. Update EU Labels and SDSs according to the deadline. New information on the hazards trigger providing the updated SDS versions to all recipients to whom in the EU the substance or mixture has been supplied within the preceding 12 months.
For all of the latest regulatory news and the most important industry updates, sign up to our monthly Regulatory Round-Up Newsletter.
Labeling and Packaging Regulation
EC Regulation 1272/2008
12th ATP to CLP